Monday, June 14, 2010

Makeover: Lamb & Sweet Corn Curry from North India

...becomes Seitan, Broccoli, and Sweet Corn Curry! The original recipe comes from Rajasthan, an area of North India. Inspired by this recipe, the new one comes from my apartment in Jersey City. :-)

Changes I made:
I made it for my wonderful, supportive boyfriend who is lacto-vegetarian (i.e. only dairy products + plant-based food) and also allergic to soy so I changed the lamb to seitan (wheat gluten). Everything else in the recipe was fine from a vegetarian point of view, but when I read 1/2 cup of ghee or corn oil I found myself gasping. Really? A half a cup? If you're using ghee, that's 1080 kcalories, 120 g of fat, and 72 g of saturated fat. The corn oil gets you down to 960 kcalories, 112 g of fat, and only 16 g of saturated fat, but still... do we really need to use that much? So, I decided to use 2 tablespoons of canola oil. I also didn't see the point in using canned corn, so I opted for frozen (although in hindsight I should have gone with fresh since it's starting to pop up at Whole Foods). I also felt like 1 tsp of salt was enough to bring out the flavors (instead of the 2 tsp they called for) because there are a TON of spices in this thing! - caradmom galore, cumin, cloves, bay leaves, lemon, cilantro, coriander, tumeric. I used nonfat yogurt instead of regular, a little less water (lamb would have to be cooked longer), and took out the onions and garlic. There's nothing wrong with the onion and garlic, we're just not fans of it in this household, so you'll see me doing that a lot.

I have to admit, when I added in the blended Poblano chiles, I thought that i was going to have to dump the finished product in the trash can - but I was wrong! And - check out how it changed per serving (I said it makes 7, which is about a cup)...
Kcalories: 470... 180.5
Fat: 27 g... 5.5 g
Saturated fat (that's the unhealthy one): 7 g... 0.4 g
Protein: 37 g... 14 g
Cholesterol: 106 mg... 1 mg
Sodium: 964 mg... 709 mg (This is more sodium than I would like, so I'd cut the salt in half again.)
You may think it's a bad thing that the protein went down, but actually most people (especially meat-eaters) eat far more protein than is required. Unfortunately, there's less niacin, zinc, iron, and selenium in the new recipe from taking out the lamb. But, because of the added veggies in the new recipe, there is more vitamin A, folate, fiber, and a lot more vitamin C.

What do you look out for in a recipe/meal? Calories? Fat? Sodium? Amount of veggies? Additives?

Seitan, Broccoli, and Sweet Corn Curry



Ingredients:

1 whole package seitan (~1 cup), cut into 1-in pieces
4 poblano chiles, stem discarded
2 T canola oil
1.5 t cumin seeds
Seeds in 5 green cardamom pods
Seeds in 4 black cardamom pods
10 cloves
2 bay leaves
2 c water
1 lb frozen sweet corn
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 T cilantro, chopped

SEITAN COATING:
10 oz plain, nonfat yogurt
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp salt

1. Combine the ingredients for the seitan coating in a bowl. Add seitan and cover the cubes completely.



2. Heat canola oil in a deep saucepan. Add cumin, cardamom, cloves, and bay leaves.
3. After the spices start to snap, crackle and pop, and the seitan and all of the coating. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Blend the chiles (include some seeds if you want it more spicy) in a blender or food processor. If you want to add onions and garlic to this, feel free.
5. Add the blended chiles to the saucepan and mix thoroughly. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add 2 cups water and cook until half of the liquid has evaporated.
7. Add the corn and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
8. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and cilantro.
Serve with some brown basmati rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment