Sunday, June 13, 2010

International Curry Extravaganza Begins!

Welcome to the first post! About 7 years ago, I realized the incredible power that food has on our bodies. What we eat can determine whether we feel energized or lazy, can cause us to thrive in health or disintegrate from disease, and it can even be a declaration about how we choose to live in this world. For me, it was changing to a vegetarian diet that brought about this discovery. Eventually, I decided that I wanted to help people heal themselves with food and started the graduate program in clinical nutrition at NYU. I love it.

Who loves curries? I do! I do! About 5 years ago, I started cooking from The Ayurvedic Cookbook by Amadea Morningstar and fell in love with the spices. In ayurveda, the use of spices is one technique to help balance your body and mind. Last semester in Food Science & Technology, my professor Dr. Raghavan loved to talk about the healing aspects of curcumin (a component of the spice tumeric) and gave me the book Curry Cuisine: Fragrant dishes from India, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia by a number of authors. Since a number of the dishes are not vegetarian and not necessarily healthy, I decided to make it my summer mission to use the recipes as inspiration in the creation of new, healthier, vegan/vegetarian ones.

Hope you enjoy! Tomorrow, we begin in North India - changing a Lamb and Sweet Corn Curry recipe to a Seitan, Broccoli and Sweet Corn Curry. Get your tumeric out and let's get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment