Saturday, May 7, 2011

Allium for Joints


The Allium vegetables are as healthy as they are smelly. The Allium genus of plants include onion, garlic, leeks, shallots, and chives and the smell that they have is because of the presence of an antioxidant that includes sulfur. Their amazing health qualities include helping to prevent against heart disease (garlic in large quantities acts as a blood thinner so has a protective effect similar to taking baby aspirin), and against osteoarthritis. Check out my latest article at FYILiving.com to read all about it!

1 comment:

  1. I used to be appallingly sensitive to alliums - onions (any kind) would have me doubled up in pain before rushing to the loo. Since having my son, I can now entertain the idea of a cheese & onion sandwich, which before would be impossible. Garlic, however, has me scratching myself to pieces. It just makes me itch so badly - if I've eaten it raw (in a dressing or some such), I'll come out in huge raised stripes that itch like fury. I've often wondered if it is indicative of something within myself, such as the need for a total detox! :)

    ReplyDelete